Tuesday, October 2, 2018

GUILTY AS CHARGED


When I do not write, I feel guilty; 
When I write a paragraph, I feel guilty;
And after all that trouble, I finally complete a page; 
but the guilt stays with me.

When I ask for help, I feel guilty; 
When I do not, I feel guilty; 
Finally, when I solve the problem with or without help, 
the guilt somehow remains with me.

When I play with my baby, I feel guilty; 
When I wish she would go away, I feel guilty;
And when she tells me, ‘Ma, I understand that you have to work’, 
the guilt overwhelms me.

When I am selfish, I feel guilty;
When I am selfless, I feel guilty;
And when I lie in bed and reflect on the day that went by, 
the guilt is all I see.

The more I ponder, lying there in bed,
the more I see that the guilt is not outside of me. 
No - I realise in dismal shock -
I am guilty as charged by none other than me.


Image result for handcuffs 

No comments: